Fire Prevention and Security
The MRC of Bonaventure is responsible in establishing a schema in the manner of fire prevention and security on its territory. This schema is in partnership with municipalities of it territory. It defines the objects of fire prevention and the actions required to obtain them, all in conformity with the rules regulated by the government Law on the Fire Prevention and Security.
Fire Prevention and Security Service :
- To assume the direction of administrative and intervention operations
- To co-ordinate the application of the schema
- To favour a high quality of firemen in the fire hall in offering training courses recognized by the National Firemen School of Quebec;
- To maintain, with its technical support service , the standards required by the different rules applying to equipment for fire protection
- To supervise all activities pertaining to fire prevention and security and assume the activities of research and causes of fires during investigations
Residential Visits/Fire Prevention and Security
Concerned for the security of its population in the MRC. The MRC of Bonaventure and the Fire Security Service have adopted a program to visits residents in their homes. This program is to make the public aware of the different risks of fire and assure that all the residents visited have a functional smoke detector.
During their visit, the fire fighter will wear the colors of their unit. They will gather certain information and verify the key points to keep the occupants fire safe. Then purpose of the residential visit is to prevent fire. We rely on the collaboration of all residents in welcoming the voluntary fire fighter into their homes.
Here are a few ways to prevent fire in your home:
Facts regarding fires
1 death out of 6 caused by fire is related to a smoking article.
- Do not smoke while laying down on your bed of couch
- Do not throw away ashes or cigarette butts in the garbage, use the toilet instead
- Did you know? A lit cigarette can stay several hour in a padded cabinet before igniting
- Keep lighters and matches away from children at all time
- When you throw a match, moisten it before throwing it
- Keep candles away from any flamable material
- Place any open flame device out of reach of animals
15% of fires in Quebec are caused by cooking activities
- Do not fry food anywhere except in a thermostatic fryer
- Never leave food unattended while cooking
- Keep your rolls of paper towels more than 1m from the stove.
If a cooking fire breaks out : – NEVER USE WATER !!!
- Put a lid on the pan
- Use a fire extinguisher at a safe distance
- Turn off the oven current with the breaker
There are several types of fire extinguishers; water, foam, powder, CO2 etc.
For a home or business, a 5-pound fire extinguisher, such as 2A-10B-C, is versatile and can meet almost all fire-extinguishing needs.
If you need to use your extinguisher, here are the steps to follow :
- Call the fire department
- Make sure the occupants are out of the building
- Locate the nearest exit
- Remove the pin
- Aim for the base of the flames
- Press the trigger
- Sweep the base of the fire with the fire extinguisher
The smoke alarm is an obligation, it is the best tool to save your life in case of fire.
- Change the battery every 6 months or go for a lithium battery that last for about 10 years
- Avoid rechargeable batteries
- Avoid painting it
- Vacuum your smoke alarm once a year
- Replace it every 10 years
Nearly 16% of fires in Quebec are caused by heaters.
- Avoid leaving open stove doors unattended
- Keep your wood supply at least 5 feet away
- When emptying your appliance, be sure to place your ashes in a metal container, outside and away from combustible material
- Have your chimney swept once or twice a year
David Thibault, Preventive Agent