Welcome service for newcomers (SANA)
The welcome service for newcomers (SANA) aims to encourage the sustainable establishment, and social, cultural and economic integration of newcomers to the MRC of Bonaventure. More specifically, SANA services are available for newcomers aged 35 and over (coming from any origin), and newly arrived immigrants, as well as Canadians from other provinces, of all ages.
Who is considered a newcomer?
All persons, originating from this region or not, who are newly established within the MRC of Bonaventure. Persons who intend to establish themselves in the MRC of Bonaventure are accompanied in the undertaking of getting settled.
SANA offers support in all the undertakings relating to getting settled, whether locally or remotely, according to the specific needs of each newcomer.
Support to get settled
- Welcome service upon arrival, familiarisation with the area and life in the MRC, a welcome kit and a welcome gift;
- Assistance in finding housing, schools, health services, daycare etc. ;
- Direction to resources and services in the area;
- Accompaniment in the process of finding employment and socio-professional integration in collaboration with area organizations;
- Orientation in available leisure and recreational activities and how to get involved;
- Accompaniment in the administrative tasks of immigration (permits and status);
- Orientation towards francization and French lessons;
- Intercultural matching with people who have strong roots in this area;
Activities of the welcome committee for newcomers
The welcome committee regularly invite newcomers as well as the general populace to their activities. A diversity of activities are planned (5 à 7, cultural and sporting activities, activities for the whole family) to facilitate getting to know new people and growing social networks. These also provide a great opportunity to discover the recreation and gastronomy of the MRC. Everybody is welcome!
Interview assistance program
The interview financial assistance program offers personal accommodation and financial support for people who must present themselves for a job interview for any specialized full time position, which is difficult to fill, in a business or organization located in the Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine region. This allocation will defray a portion of the cost related to travel, accommodations and meals. Candidates can obtain up to 400$ for a job position in Gaspésie. The request to SANA for financial support must be placed before travel to the interview in question.
For more information: http://gaspesieilesdelamadeleine.ca/travailler/programme-d-aide-aux-entrevues
Support for employers
SANA also offers support for employers seeking to hire an immigrant.
- Information on the tools, the administrative procedures, and salary subventions to hire immigrants;
- Diffusion of offers of employment to potential candidates;
- Support in undertaking the establishment and integration of a new employee; facilitation of social and cultural integration of the individual and their family outside the workplace;
- The interview assistance program for individuals outside of the region to attend a job interview ; welcome and accompaniment for individuals attending a job interview
- The Mon stage d’études en région program for students, offers an allocation of 125$ per week during the stage placement. For detailed information: http://gaspesieilesdelamadeleine.ca/travailler/mon-stage-d-etudes-en-region
Opportunities to get involved with newcomers.
Here are some projects that everybody is invited to take part in:
- Intercultural pairing between newcomers and welcoming community members to share cultures, facilitate adaptation as well as create social networks for the newcomer;
- Welcome families to temporarily offer accommodations for a newcomer or a newly arrived family, in order to permit them to immerse themselves in the area and its culture;
- Welcome committee for newcomers to bring new ideas and take part in the welcome of newcomers and the organization of social and cultural activities;
Are you interested in getting involved? Get in touch with SANA!
The Welcome service for newcomers (SANA) for the MRC of Bonaventure looks forward to meeting you!
Sophie Stürzer, coordinator
Service d'accueil des nouveaux arrivants (SANA) de la MRC de Bonaventure
Tél. 581 357 0122
Page Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/SANABonaventure