The main roles and responsibilities of the territorial organisation service consists of adopting, revising, maintaining and following the proposed action plan.
The action plan can be summarized as follows:
- Analyse the contents of urban planning projects which include zoning laws and proposed consecutions.
- Prepare and insure the legal follow up of proposed modifications to certain urbanism reglementation.
- Provide professional advice to certain authorities in order to insure the conformity of:
- The urban planning rules and regulations.
- Bank loans for municipalities
- Advice with regard to government intervention
- Conformity certifications for private companies and their projects
- Advice with regard to the demands for modifying zoning in agricultural land protected by the CPTAQ
Moreover, since May of 2003 the MRC of Bonaventure has incorporated a mapping service into the fold. This high tech service of digital mapping opens up a world of possibilities for the municipalities of the MRC of Bonaventure. These mapping services also help with the development and follow up of the urban planning and territorial organisation plans. All new projects and planification of land with regard to the forest and even the chart for fire hazards and risk assessment benefit from this technical support.
Also, the management of municipal water ways has been transferred to the MRC of Bonaventure. This means that each municipality signed an individual agreement with the MRC of Bonaventure. As well, the application of a policy relative to the management of those water resources has been implemented and a follow up is completed if any water source or its surrounding area is subject to modification.
The territorial organisation service and urban planning implicate themselves in the regional economic development by doing the following:
- The preparation of support documents for decision makers.
- Collaboration in regional development cases
- The preparation of opinions, memoires and notices for certain projects in regards to the regional development.
Finally, the person responsible for the territorial organisation and urban planning for the MRC of Bonaventure plays a crucial role in the interpretation and application of different laws and provincial bylaws that touch regional development.
- Law on urbanism and territorial organisation
- Law on the protection of agricultural land and its connected activities
- Regulations on the treatment of contaminated water for isolated homes
- Protection policy of shore lines, coasts and low lying flood lands.